The third and final year of this significant construction project is commencing on May 28, 2018. The construction work will be ongoing throughout the summer and early fall with the substantial completion for the project anticipated by mid-November, 2018.
Year Two of Airfield rehabilitation Program at Billy Bishop Airport has been successfully concluded. The highlights of Year 2 include:
- Ground Run-up Enclosure (GRE): GRE construction has been completed and the opening ceremony was held on April 19, 2017. The facility is now officially operational. For details about the GRE facility refer to Project Elements page on this website.
- Runway 08-26 Grooving: This is a safety feature intended to improve the macro-texture of the pavement surface, reduce water film thicknesses during rainfall and provide an escape channel for water that may become trapped between the pavement surface and an aircraft tire. These effects reduce the potential for aircraft hydroplaning under wet conditions. Grooving may also improve aircraft braking performance on a wet runway as compared to a wet non-grooved runway. Grooving was completed in April 2017 ahead of schedule.
- New FBO Apron 6 Construction:Work on the construction of a temporary general aviation aircraft apron between Taxiways Alpha, Bravo and Echo has been completed in July 2017 and the new apron is now in service.
- Complete Conversion of Runway 15-33 to a Permanent Taxiway: Work on the full reconstruction of the old runway pavements and conversion to a new Taxiway Echo, including the installation of new airfield electrical infrastructure has been completed in July 2017 and the new Taxiway is now in service.
- Completion of Improvements to Perimeter Service Road: The paving of a portion of the service roads adjacent to Runway 08-26 has been completed in May 2017. A portion of western perimeter road construction has been deferred to 2018 due to high water level impacts in this area.
- Electrical Infrastructure Replacement on Taxiway Alpha: The replacement of aging electrical infrastructure (taxiway edge lights, transformers, cabling) with new LED taxiway edge lights, transformers and cabling has been advanced from 2018 into 2017 and has been completed in July 2017.
- The 2016 construction season has successfully concluded as all of the construction activities have been completed as planned. Over the coming 2017 winter months, only work on the GRE facility will be ongoing. The schedule for the remainder of the 2017 construction season will be finalized as well and further updates will be provided on the website.
- Runway 06-24 was officially reopened for aircraft use on October 28, 2016 following full pavement reconstruction and the addition of runway edge lighting. This is a significant milestone in the project and will provide improved service to the General Aviation community using the airport.
- On the morning of September 23, 2016 the contractor completed the final surface course asphalt paving activity for this construction season. Runway 08-26 has been fully resurfaced (by mill and pave) and Runway 06-24 fully reconstructed over the course of less than four months, in accordance with the original project schedule.
- The Construction Contract has been awarded to Pave-Al Limited on May 13, 2016. The contractor has commenced mobilization activities and significant construction activities have commenced on June 13, 2016.