Year Two of Airfield Rehabilitation Program is set to Commence at Billy Bishop Airport. Activities beginning the week of April 3 and continuing to the end of July are outlined below. Please note that much of the work being done on the airfield can only take place during overnight hours (11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.) while the airfield and runway are closed to commercial aircraft traffic.
- Ground Run-up Enclosure (GRE): GRE construction is anticipated to be substantially complete the week of April 3, with testing and commissioning activities taking place over the next two weeks, after which the facility is anticipated to be ready for its intended use for aircraft engine run-ups.
- Runway 08-26 Grooving: This is a safety feature intended to improve the macro-texture of the pavement surface, reduce water film thicknesses during rainfall and provide an escape channel for water that may become trapped between the pavement surface and an aircraft tire. These effects reduce the potential for aircraft hydroplaning under wet conditions. Grooving may also improve aircraft braking performance on a wet runway as compared to a wet non-grooved runway. The work is anticipated to commence the week of April 3 during overnight hours while the runway is closed (11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.) and will be completed within 10-12 days. PortsToronto has instructed the contractor to control noise emission as much as possible, however elevated noise levels from grooving activities are anticipated. This work is intentionally being completed prior to the summer months when there is greater likelihood that residents will be outdoors and/or have windows open.
- New FBO Apron 6 Construction: Work on the construction of a temporary general aviation aircraft apron between Taxiways Alpha, Bravo and Echo is anticipated to commence in late April and will take approximately 2-3 weeks to complete.
- Complete Conversion of Runway 15-33 to a Permanent Taxiway: Work on the full reconstruction of the old runway pavements and conversion to a new Taxiway Echo, including the installation of new airfield electrical infrastructure, is anticipated to commence in early May and last until the end of July 2017.
- Completion of Improvements to Perimeter Service Road: The paving of a portion of the service roads adjacent to Runway 08-26 is anticipated to commence in May and last until June 2017.
- Electrical Infrastructure Replacement on Taxiway Alpha: The replacement of aging electrical infrastructure (taxiway edge lights, transformers, cabling) with new LED taxiway edge lights, transformers and cabling is anticipated to take place between May and end of July 2017.
In order to minimize impacts to the neighbourhood from the project’s associated construction activities, the seasonal barging operation is anticipated to resume on May 1 and continue through to the estimated completion of construction work in July. Throughout the project, PortsToronto will continue to make best efforts to minimize disruption and regrets any inconvenience construction activities may cause.
- The 2016 construction season has successfully concluded as all of the construction activities have been completed as planned. Over the coming 2017 winter months, only work on the GRE facility will be ongoing. The schedule for the remainder of the 2017 construction season will be finalized as well and further updates will be provided on the website.
- Runway 06-24 was officially reopened for aircraft use on October 28, 2016 following full pavement reconstruction and the addition of runway edge lighting. This is a significant milestone in the project and will provide improved service to the General Aviation community using the airport.
- On the morning of September 23, 2016 the contractor completed the final surface course asphalt paving activity for this construction season. Runway 08-26 has been fully resurfaced (by mill and pave) and Runway 06-24 fully reconstructed over the course of less than four months, in accordance with the original project schedule.
- The Construction Contract has been awarded to Pave-Al Limited on May 13, 2016. The contractor has commenced mobilization activities and significant construction activities have commenced on June 13, 2016.